I’ve always felt as though I needed to wear makeup because my skin was horrendous, my eyes looked like two black holes and it (makeup) was the only thing that gave me an ounce of confidence. Smearing foundation and concealer on my face was the only way for me to be happy. Ten sweeps of mascara per eye was the only way to live!
These are like the rules of feminism! Duhh.
Over the past few years I’ve grown to kind of appreciate the skin I was given. My face and neck have been through a lot. I am a long term sufferer of cystic acne, scarring and skin so oily you can fry potatoes on it. I am a fan of mattifying products, however I am not a fan of the silicone that they are laden with. I do not believe skin needs to be smothered to be smooth and matte.
This particular blog is to show you what I use to polish my features a bit.
I tend to reach for the items pictured below for my “no makeup makeup look”.
1. The Balm Bahama Mama bronzer is the perfect formula for adding a smooth satin matte warmth and a bit of dimension to my round face. I also run this in the socket of my eye to add a bit of depth. The brown is perfectly neutral.
2. Napoleon Perdis Bronze Patrol. I use this as a soft highlight as it is marbled with true gold and white-gold veins. This has the most magical texture.
3.Cover FX Illuminating Setting Powder in Light. This is life. Seriously sets your makeup and gives your face a luminous glow that will NEVER look shiny or greasy. Cover FX products have been staples in my collection for over 7 years.
4. Tarte Powder Foundation in Medium Tan Sand is all that I use as a foundation lately. It is amazing coverage especially when used with their foundation brush (the large gold bamboo brush pictured). If you need a soft matte finish this is it. Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara is my favorite mascara besides my Chanel Le Volume. No clumps, all length and blacker than the bottom of my wild heart. Brilliant! Get you some.
5. Bobbi Brown Color Correction Concealer is perfect to conceal those black holes I mentioned earlier. Seriously, I can’t even deal!
6. Sephora Lip Stain is matte, reddish brown, doesn’t freaking budge even after I wolf down Cinnabons and 3 flat whites from Starbucks. I mean, kale and quinoa.
7. There has to be a 7 because I have a thing with odd numbers. Blistex lip balm. It’s inexpensive, soft and it has spf so the sun doesn’t burn my lips off.
I use all of those products for a no makeup makeup look! ha! Go figure. I need 7 items to keep me looking alive.
Pictured below is a pic of me before I put on a little face and after.
There’s no need to pile on product to look kinda sorta put together. No need to contour your entire face or to filter out every flaw. Sometimes it takes us a while to appreciate what we have going on in the facial region, but when we get there it is wonderful!